Today I was really missing the „normal“foods I use to cook at home. Lucky I found a store that sells Spaghetti, a nice change to chapati, rice and ugali. I also found a store that sells soya mince, but I can only get it in a bigger Cities like Mombasa or Nairobi, so whenever I`m there I buy plenty and stock it up. The soya here is different to what I`m used to. It`s dried and only made out of the soya protein, not the whole bean. So health wise, it`s not the best, but it still gives a nice twist to some meals or a sauce…and none the less it`s a good protein source.
250 gram Spaghetti
1 red onion
1 garlic clove
1 small green bell pepper
150 gram soya mince
1 tsp tomato puree
Salt and pepper
- First cook your spaghetti as usual.
- Then cut all the vegetables into fine pieces and slice the onion and garlic.
- Add oil to a pan and sautè the garlic, onion, bell pepper for about 30 seconds (on medium heat). Then add the tomato puree and wait for another 30 sec or a minute, so that the flavor can involve.
- Now you can add the tomato and zucchini, also add salt and pepper
- Wait about 1 more minute and add water till the vegetables are slightly covered.
- Cover the pan and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- It`s finished when the vegetables are tender and the water reduced and left a thicker sauce.
Voila – Enjoy.