So I cooked the sweet potatoes and made cabbage the typical African way (which is, to be honest, just by adding curry and tomatoes;))
2 big sweet potatoes
2 red onions
1 garlic clove
½ of a cabbage
- Start by peeling the sweet potatoes and cut them into pieces if you want them to cook faster. Then put them in a pot, cover them well with water and a dash of salt and bring them to a boil. Get them out of the water when still slightly hard and let them cool a little.
- Prepare the cabbage by cutting out the stem, remove the leaves that are damaged and start slicing the cabbage in small pieces. When you have finished wash it really well.
- Dice the onion, garlic and tomatoes.
- Now on medium high sauté the half of the diced onion until translucent and add the garlic and the spices. Stir well so that it won`t burn but the flavor can enhance.
- Shortly after add the tomatoes and wait till they slightly fall before adding the cabbage. Now cover the pot and every now and then stir so that it won`t burn.
- In a separate pan brown the rest of the onion and then add the rest of the tomatoes. Add a pinch of salt, a little bit of pepper und curry and then the potatoes. Turn the heat down, so that it won`t burn and gently sauté the vegetables. Be careful to not stir too much, otherwise the potatoes will fall apart. When everything is soft, turn down the heat…It`s finished.
- The cabbage is ready when soft, but still firm to the bite.
- Voila – you can serve
Which way do you like to cook and eat sweet potatoes?